The software solution — Softpoint Data Cluster (SDC) — is a plugin and extension to Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014 for load balancing in DBMS server cluster by effective load distribution between resources.
SDC provides a real horizontal scalability to information systems, and if data flows, users, and DB increase, the problem with resources availability may be solved just by adding new instances to the DB server cluster.
SDC is implemented ready to operate with no impact on system operation logic, i.e. this solution may be adapted to any client/server business application.
This technology passed a complex testing at Microsoft technology center (MTC) jointly run by three partners — Microsoft, Magnet retail chain, and Softpoint. The press-release is available at the official vendor website.
Business goals achievable with the Softpoint Data Cluster
- More efficient utilization of HW & SW dedicated to CIS (corporate information system).
- More efficient utilization of HW with reduced HW requirements to prospective CIS scaling.
- More efficient TCO (total cost of ownership) for HW & SW of CIS due to lower TCO.
Technology goals achievable with the Softpoint Data Cluster
- Guaranteed 24/7 IS availability for real-time operation of users, including maintenance tasks in highload systems due to load balancing between DB servers in the DBMS cluster.
- Shorter processing times for user operations and shorter response times for users working with the GUI and certain CIS modules.
- Enhanced reliability, failover and disaster recovery of active DB with no data loss due to the Always On technology built into the MS SQL Server 2012.
Operation principles of SoftPoint Data Cluster
- Adapts to any MSSQL based application with no modifications to its code.
- Forwards all queries to modify data only to the master DB server.
- Analyzes current HW load and decides on how to distribute queries to read data among servers of the DBMS cluster.
- Monitorssynchronization latency among DB servers and decides on how to distribute queries to read data within the DBMS cluster.
- User-friendly (tips from the application code on the server choice for query processing) to increase efficiency.